Clever Canadian Travel Guide
The Before You Go Checklist
- Tick these off your list before you go overseas so you can rest easy when it comes to holiday time!
- Plan, Plan, Plan! Before you go across the border or overseas, it’s always helpful to plan and research your destination. Fortune favours the prepared when it comes to safety & smooth travelling.
- Get comprehensive travel insurance before you leave home. Make sure it covers all the activities you plan on doing and the places you are visiting too.
- Check out the latest travel advice on Travel.gc.ca. Be aware of any travel warnings or alerts for your destination. Join the Registration of Canadians Abroad to keep yourself connected to home in case of an emergency abroad.
- If you can’t get into a country then your journey is over before it has even begun. Make sure you check visa and entry requirements well in advance of you leaving home.
- You never know when something could go wrong, so always prepare for an emergency. Make sure you have the local emergency numbers, and know where the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate is.
- Make copies of your passport, visas, itinerary, bookings, drivers license and credit cards. Photocopying might seem a little extreme, but if you lose something really important having a copy of those vital details can be really helpful.
- Your passport is your ticket to ride! Ensure your passport has at least 6 months validity beyond your intended departure for the countries you are visiting.
- Always ensure you check with your doctor if any vaccinations are recommended for the countries you are travelling to.
The Clever Canadian
- Makes friends with locals.
- Wears enclosed, safe footwear at all times when out and about
- Doesn’t dress like a tourist, blends in with the locals.
- Stashes his cash in different places
- Packs light and leaves valuables at home.
- Doesn’t leave backpack unattended.
The Silly Traveller
- Carries expensive items.
- Rides motorbike with no helmet or licence while wearing shorts
- Over packs
- Ignores rules
- Drinks the tap water and gets very sick
- Flashes their cash around
- Carries a huge map and flashy camera
Recommeded For You
Learn More About What's Covered with 1Cover
The US has several fun locations just a few hours from the border. You?ll find something for everyone.
Canadians are passionate about their sports.
It is important to have Medical Insurance when travelling to Canada.
Want an action-packed trip full of adventure? Check out our guide for active Snowbird vacations.
Keep yourself safe on your next trip to the states and check out our travel information.
More Information About Popular Destinations