Top 5 Most Dangerous Places In The U.S.The U.S. undoubtedly has some of the most wondrous and popular tourist spots worldwide. But as beautiful as it can be, it also has its dangerous places, with higher crime rates and an increasing number of travel scams. If you’re a Canadian and want to cross the border, choose your destination carefully. Get familiar with these 5 most dangerous U.S. cities so that you don't end up pulling into a hotel late at night on your way to a final destination.
Flint is one of the most violent cities in the U.S., and it has the second highest rate of homicide in the country. The city’s poor socioeconomic climate, as well as the excess use of drugs and alcohol, may explain the high crime rates. With an unemployment rate of 11.8%, Flint is one of the cities you definitely need to avoid if you’ll be crossing the border to the US.
If you travel to Birmingham, Alabama, the city’s poverty rate of 30.7% may be quite striking. The median income is $31,152, which is more than $20,000 less than the national average. Aggravated assault accounts for more than half of the violent crimes in Birmingham, and about 1,300 violent crimes per 100,000 residents are reported yearly. If you’re planning to visit Alabama, be cautious!
New Haven, Conneticut
New Haven is located in the northeast, and is very close to tourist destinations such as New York City, Boston, or the Jersey Shore. It has the highest rate of violent crime on the east coast. Sadly, the number of murders in the city doubled last year — and not surprisingly, New Haven has the fourth-highest rate of assault in the U.S. According to the New Haven Police Department, cameras will be added at every intersection in one of the neighbourhoods where shootings are the most common. Not quite the place you’d like to be in, right?
Although Memphis’ Operation Safe Community plan has helped decrease the crime rates of the city, it still remains one of the most dangerous in the US, with the median income reaching just $34,203 — an estimated 31.8% below the national average. Yes, the Shelby Farms are a great place to visit during your spring break, and the Beale Street Historic District is a well known for its rich history, but it’s better to opt for Nashville or Chattanooga instead.
Baltimore recently made the list of Forbes 10 Most Dangerous Cities, but it continues to lure in tourists on the way to DC with sights such as the Inner Harbor, the National Aquarium, and rich history. While the number of violent crimes has dropped slightly in the past years, Baltimore is still very dangerous for tourists, with the fourth-worst murder rate and the tenth-worst aggravated assault rate in the country. Unless it’s for a very short time, avoid staying in Baltimore during your trip to the States.
Do's And Don'ts For Canadian Travellers
- Do your research before deciding where to travel. Find the safest tourist spots for Canadians, and plan your trip so you’re avoiding the most dangerous and risky ones.
- Do have your travel insurance plan in place before leaving. Should the unforeseeable happen during your trip, you’ll have all expenses covered by your insurer.
- Don’t give to beggars — they’re taking advantage of your good faith to get free money, or even pickpocket you!
- Don’t flash money or valuables in front of others — you’re making yourself an easy target for scam artists and thieves.
- Do pay with your credit card — if you come across a company that insists you pay with cash or cheque, go someplace else. A reliable company will always accept credit cards.
- Don’t take candy from strangers — seriously, don’t accept anything, whether it’s a “free prize” or a glass of wine.
- Do stick with your group — the buddy system helps you avoid troubles during your spring break trip!
Recommended For You
The US health care system is notoriously expensive. Find out how to avoid huge bills.
Learn More About What's Covered with 1Cover
The good, the bad and the ugly.
Keep yourself safe on your next trip to the US.
Keep your pockets full on your next trip to the US.
Learn the best places to escape the winter months
Keep yourself safe on your next trip to the states and check out our travel information.
Other Destinations in this Region